Thursday, July 10, 2008

African Online News

Every morning I read news about Africa online. My favorite sites to visit include South Africa's Daily Mail and Guardian, The New York Times, and the BBC News. Right now my primary interest is in reading about the current situation in Zimbabwe. What is happening to that country is heartbreaking. I have a friend there now who runs the Turgwe Hippo Trust, and I am very concerned about her safety. Had it not been for the upheavel there, I would have been visiting the country now. For more insight into the politics of the country, read Peter Godwin's Mukiwa and When a Crocodile Eats the Sun. (You can read the reviews I wrote of the books on Amazon and Barnes and Noble.com.) Two other great memoirs about the land invastions are Catherine Buckle's African Tears: The Zimbabwe Land Invastions and Beyond Tears: Zimbabwe's Tragedy.

No comments: